[rescue] OT: FeeCee rescue

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Tue Sep 30 15:57:17 CDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Derek Andersen wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why is a G3 (presumably running OS X)
> 'acceptable' while (say) an x86 laptop running Linux (or Solaris x86, or
> whatever) not? Is it just the CPU?

Well for me it has to do with with OpenFirmware (which is derived from the
OF in Sun boxes) and a legacy-free architecture that doesn't require
kludgy BIOS tweaking (which varies from model to model as well as vendor
to vendor) to make things work.  Combine that with an OS UNIX layer
derived from the *BSD tree (mostly FreeBSD), an open source kernel, X11
compatability, etc. and you pretty much have a workstation, give or take.

--
Nathan Raymond