Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

Phil Schilling phils at gcstech.net
Mon Sep 29 21:59:13 CDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:32:44 -0400
Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:13:23 -0700
> Devin L. Ganger wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 11:05:02PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
> >
> > > XP sort of works, if you throw a 2GHz box at it and reboot it
> > > whenever it screws up its DHCP lease.  Of course in rebooting it
> > > shows its Windows heritage.
> >
> > Why do you need to reboot XP just to fix a hosed DHCP lease?  If
> > ipconfig/release and /renew don't fix the problem, disabling the
> > interface and re-enabling almost certainly will.  (Which reminds >
> me; I need to figure out how to do that last programmatically.)
>
> In my experience, ipconfig /release and /renew don't always work.
> Sometimes they just hang there doing nothing - or worse yet, they
> assign the wacky MS default IP.  It doesn't happen *every* time, but
> it does happen often enough to be an issue.
<much snippage>

Ok, if it is a laptop, more than likely Devin is shutting it down
often.  That is the equivalent? of a reboot.  All of us that must
endure the pain of M$ know that the reboot aleviates many issues. So
sorry Devin, I must take your statement as, 'a grain of salt'. I feel
your experience must be with poor OS if you consider that stable.

Phil