Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Sep 28 21:26:31 CDT 2003

On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 12:15 PM, N.Miller wrote:
> Well, depending on the other stuff in the update, I *might*
> keep mine, but I doubt it.  This is my second B&W (battery
> died in the first one), and it has been acting flaky lately
> ("SIM not ready", not coming out of sleep w/out power off/on,
> screen getting wobbly).  I treat my tech gear much better
> than almost anyone I know, so it's not like the damned thing
> has been abused--it's just poorly made.

   ...and again I consider myself very lucky with my hardware.  I've
dropped mine so hard it landed nearly fifteen feet away with not so
much as a scratch.  I slammed the car door on it (and Porsches have
SERIOUS doors) and got a tiny dent in the plastic.  But that's about it.

   On another list a friend of mine destroyed the hinges on a
TiBook...something I've widely considered to be the closest to
"indestructible hardware" that I've ever seen.  Again, mine has hit the
floor several times, had orange juice spilled INSIDE it, etc, and is
fine.

   Maybe you folks should say nice things about your hardware.  Both
Nadine and the TiBook guy (hi Jon) take good care of their stuff, and
so do I.  I don't gripe about mine, though.  Perhaps that's the
difference. ;)

       -Dave