[rescue] Running X on Headless Server??????

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Sat Sep 27 20:32:46 CDT 2003

Mike Meredith [mailto:mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk] on Saturday, September
27, 2003 2:15 PM said;

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:36:42 -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> > Example; Oracle Portal requires an X-server to display the graphics it
> > generates in reports.

> I'm not sure what Oracle Portal is (and I don't want to know), but this
> is why the null display X server was invented (Xvfb). After all there
> are many database servers running headless ... after many years of
> effort, *all* the database servers where I work are now headless (it
> took some doing to persuade the Oracle dba's they didn't need heads on
> the servers).

I plead guilty to emailing while encumbered by a sleepy toddler.  We do
indeed use Xvfb to provide the X display the Oracle bits require.  The
database servers are running X to satisfy the DBA's and their requirement to
run the Oracle installers 'by the book'.

And yes, I know there are better ways, and we've been all over that with the
DBAs.  More politics.

~brian