[rescue] Running X on Headless Server??????

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 14:15:12 CDT 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:36:42 -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> Example; Oracle Portal requires an X-server to display the graphics it
> generates in reports.

I'm not sure what Oracle Portal is (and I don't want to know), but this
is why the null display X server was invented (Xvfb). After all there
are many database servers running headless ... after many years of
effort, *all* the database servers where I work are now headless (it
took some doing to persuade the Oracle dba's they didn't need heads on
the servers).