[rescue] A russian pdp-11??

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Sep 26 23:27:48 CDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:04:24PM -0700, Tom Ponsford wrote:
> Hi All !!
>
> A good haul at the local University auction has netted me
> a coupla Sun Ulta2's, a few vt420 monitors an IBM3151 terminal
> and the neatest find in the last few months....
>
> A russian pdp-11.
> It appears to be an exact replica of a dec professional 350.
> It has the same case as the decmate/ rainbow/professional series.
> All the labels, everything, is in cyrillic, but it is an exact replica
> of my 350, the only difference is that instead of the funky
> dec dual RX50, it has two ordinary looking 51/4 floppies,
> and the color is what my friend calls a soyuz silver or moscow gray,
> as opposed to the dec beige/sand.
> It has what appears to be a RD50/52 but it is all labeled in russian.
> It even has the CTI bus cage with the cards for the drives.
> On sliding the mainboard out, it is identical to my 350, except
> for a few oddities, and all the chips are labeled in cyrillic!.

Hi Tom,

Neat find!

One thing you can do is use the fact that Russian written language is
very similar to the way it is spoken.  There is not all the weirdness
that we have in English such as the various ways words ending in
"ough" can be pronounced.

I believe you wil be able to get quite far by using your
Russian-English dictionary, as you mention.

> I was really tempted to fire it up, as it appears to have, an US style
> 110 power receptical. But second thoughts, made me cautious as
> I'm not sure of its electrical requirements and would hate to toast the power
> supply or boards as it is a bit different from the 350 in size and various
> connectors.

If you can see into the power supply you may be able to deduce what it
takes.  Or maybe not.

Are you sure it is not an Elbrus 2K ?

--Patrick