[rescue] Re: Unemployment on the Rescue List

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 26 14:59:08 CDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:33:43PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366
wrote:

> Also offer off-site backup for their important files.  It won't be
> expensive if you use rsync and you can make a few bucks (put
> everything on a rented server in another state).

I'd need to take out a loan to do anything like that at this point.

A friend of mine has been doing this locally, and has made nothing
in the last 6 months or so.  No takers.

His other idea was to build up an old van with computers and high speed
data interfaces. The goal is to be able to pull up to any shop, and just
suck data out to the van, then store the media in a vault for them.

Found one company near DC doing it, but I don't know how successful they
are.

> > There's _always_ a solution even if we don't always see it right away.
>
> The MOST IMPORTANT thing is cash flow.  You have got to set things up
> so that you get X dollars per month coming in, guaranteed.  If that
> means cutting your hourly rate to get $350 a week for 10 hours work,
> so be it.

Hell, I'd love to be making $35/hour right now.

I still have plans though, so maybe something will come up.

On the bright side, for the last month I've gotten more interest in my
resume than I've had in the past year.

Maybe things are changing a bit?

We are also hearing rumors locally that a lot of these offshore deals
are going sour. I sure hope so. I know that a couple of local shops
are now admitting that it has actually increased their costs, and the
quality of work is lower.

Another bright spot is that I still know some insiders in shops that
went foreign, and the news on project quality is almost universally bad,
which makes me hopeful.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com