[rescue] MaxIMPACT graphics card for I2

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 26 13:26:44 CDT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:53:28 -0400
"Chris Purdy" <escher2 at chartermi.net> wrote:
[snip]
> By the way.... Why in the hell is the SGI freeware so damn hard to
> install without conflicts???? I could have installed Solaris twice in
> the amount of time it has taken me to understand and resolve the
> conflicts.

Probably the easiest/nicest way I've seen is to open up the Toolchest->
System->Software Manager and put http://freeware.sgi.com/Inst/ into the
lookup box. This will chug away for a few minutes (at least it does on
my 1.5 Mb/s DSL) and then you will have a list of what's available, what
you already have installed, and whether the packages on the website are
newer or older than what you already have. If you mark anything for
installation, it will mark any necessary dependencies as well. IMHO this
is a really nice way of installing software, once you have this little
trick. - Mike