[rescue] Ultra 80 sluggish/Octane

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 23:38:16 CDT 2003

--- Aaron Finley <arnach at arnach.com> wrote:
> I'm running Solaris 9 on a single 450 Ultra 80 with Creator 3d Series
> 3. I'm experiencing sluggish performance with firebird and GIMP and
> it's just not fast enough in general.

Is the sluggish performance in the interactive (GUI) applications, or
the server (like MySQL) applications? If the former, I would question
the graphics cards, the latter would encourage me to consider adding
CPUs.

> better off upgrading the Ultra 80 to quad 450 and Expert3d?

Dunno, depends on the application load and it's ability to justify a
near $1K investment in improving such a system. I'd consider
off-loading end-user applications from the Ultra 80, maybe dumping them
on a second box, like the low-cost Ultra 60 cases recentgly discussed
here (i.e. have a dual CPU Ultra 80 for server work, and a dual CPU
Ultra 60 for end-user applications), if that would satisfy your current
needs...

Personally, I'd love to have either a quad Ultra 80 box *or* E450, bnut
since my E250 feels underutilized, it would "not be prudent at this
juncture..." ;^)

I can't speak to the newer Octanes you mention, but I am confident
others can/have...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall