[rescue] Ultra 80 sluggish/Octane

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Sep 25 15:21:38 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 16:04, Aaron Finley wrote:
> I'm running Solaris 9 on a single 450 Ultra 80 with Creator 3d Series 3.
> I'm experiencing sluggish performance with firebird and GIMP and it's

Hmmm...  I'm running Solaris 8 on a single 450 Ultra 60 with Creator 3d
and I think Firebird rocks....  I was using Mozilla and Opera together
and now I'm running Firebird exclusively.

It has only blown up on me once.

> just not fast enough in general. This machine is also running mysql,
> bind, zeus, and some other stuff for a project I am working on. I had an

When you are not doing anything on the system (other than the project
stuff which may run as daemons, etc)... i.e. your not doing Firebird,
etc ... what does the system load look like (vmstat 5, top, etc) ?

Maybe something is up with one of the server processes that is consuming
your cpu.

> SGI Indigo2 Max before, and I miss it, would I be better off going to a
> R14k 400 MXE/V6/V8 Octane for the same applications (plus better
> graphics applications on the SGI) or better off upgrading the Ultra 80
> to quad 450 and Expert3d?

Would love to have that config on my desk (U80 with quad 450).  I'd
even love to have a second 450 for my U60, but I am unemployed and
they are not dirt cheap enough yet for me to afford.