[rescue] IBM RS/6000 7011 model 250 - Console

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Wed Sep 24 17:01:00 CDT 2003

Scott Newell wrote:
>>I wasn't going to tell her that mine never worked either. The serial
>>cable worked fine, and my 6611 (RS6K router) works, but the 7011 would
>>never boot off a floppy. I think that I needed an IBM fdd, though...
>

> What kind of floppy drive does it need?  I've got some strange IBM 2.8MB
> drives that appear to be PC compatible, but they're not (they didn't have a
> power connector originally, just the ribbon connector).  41H8703?

I believe that is just what I need. I didn't know such a thing existed
until a I saw one a little while ago. That would also explain why the
unit would not power up with a regular fdd in place. Probably the power
was shorting out since I attached a power cable and the ribbon, and the
ribbon carried power too...

Steve