[rescue] RE: Advice on Octanes

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Sep 24 14:10:43 CDT 2003

On 2003.09.24 20:44 Gavin Hubbard wrote:

> Mixing I-/E- boards is quite safe.
Ahhh, xinerama I am coming! :-)

> The real problems occur when you put two full-height (i.e.
> MX* or SS*) boards, or three half height (i.e. S*) boards,
> onto the XIO carrier.
Hmm. Sad. No tripple / quad head. ;-)
The cards in question are SE + SI, so this shoud be save.

> Some simple experimentation showed that the extra heating from
> the sun's rays was enough to make the Octane completely unstable.
I had a similar issue with my Indigo2 R10k 195 MHz. It worked well when
I got it in spring. (Previously it was located in an air conditioned
server room.) But with the summer coming, it switched itself of when it
was running some time. I suspected the PSU. Looked at it, fixed two
broken electrolytic capacitors. I thought all would be well. But no.
Later I noticed that the machine worked well with an extra fan in the
CDROM bay. Now it has a small extra fan below the CDROM bay in front of
the CPU.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen