[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Sep 24 14:14:17 CDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:36:36PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2003.09.24 15:51 Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>
> > Nope. SE + SE or SI + SI are the proper ways to go.  I've heard of
> > people doing SI+SSI or SE+SSE, but it isn't officially supported.
> > There could be heat issues if you try it.
> Hmmm. I have to look. "Officially supported" is one thing and "works
> without trouble" is an other thing.

Somebody else says that SI+SSI is officially supported.  I don't know.
I thought that it was not supported, but "works without trouble" as long
as you are extra carefull about cooling.

> > If you get a card that is the same card as what SGI OEMed, you will
> > still probably need to hack the driver.
> You mean that SGI changed the PCI vendor / device ID or tests the MAC
> address like the Phobos driver does it with the 3COM EISA 100 MBit/s
> Ethernet card?

Well, I don't know that for certain, but every case of using unsupported
PCI cards that I've heard of, with the exception of using certain
adaptec cards, they always do something tricky like that.  Perhaps we
would be lucky here.  I know at least one list member (or past member)
has an SGI FDDI PCI.  Maybe if they could volunteer the information
about who originally made it?

> > On ebay, the cost of SGI specific FDDI cards seems to me that they are
> > only about twice what similar cards would cost for other platforms.
> I can't remember that I have seen a SGI PCI FDDI card on ebay.de in the
> last months.

Yeah, but what about people on ebay.com?  Surely numberous ones will
ship to .de