[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Sep 24 09:44:35 CDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:44:19 +0200
Jochen Kunz wrote:

> Back to topic:
> I ePayed an Octane R12k, 300 MHz, SE GFX, 512 MB RAM, 9 GB disk today
> for 300,-EUR (approx. 300 US$). Seams to be a good deal.

I'll say!  I wish I could have found that deal.

> Can I use the SE GFX together with a SI GFX for a dual head setup?
> Or do I need two SE / SSE for dual head?

Yes.  You can mix and match with ease.

> How do I get FDDI? It looks like there is no XIO FDDI Option.

I recall seeing that there is, but they're pretty close to
being machined from pure unobtainium billet.

> So I need a PCI card cage and a SGI PCI FDDI card.
> Does anybody know if I really need the very special SGI PCI FDDI card,

That's the poop I hear.

> or is the SGI PCI FDDI card some generic card that SGI OEMed?
> (SysKonnect, Interphase, ...)

Dunno.  I've never seen one in the flesh.  Let us know though.

--
Kurt              "You're all bastards! MTV sucks! We hates you all!"
kurt at k-huhn.com                                -- Gollum