[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Sep 24 08:51:04 CDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:44:19PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> I ePayed an Octane R12k, 300 MHz, SE GFX, 512 MB RAM, 9 GB disk today
> for 300,-EUR (approx. 300 US$). Seams to be a good deal.

Sounds good to me.

> Can I use the SE GFX together with a SI GFX for a dual head setup?
> Or do I need two SE / SSE for dual head?

Nope. SE + SE or SI + SI are the proper ways to go.  I've heard of
people doing SI+SSI or SE+SSE, but it isn't officially supported.  There
could be heat issues if you try it.

> How do I get FDDI? It looks like there is no XIO FDDI Option.
> So I need a PCI card cage and a SGI PCI FDDI card.
> Does anybody know if I really need the very special SGI PCI FDDI card,
> or is the SGI PCI FDDI card some generic card that SGI OEMed?
> (SysKonnect, Interphase, ...)

If you get a card that is the same card as what SGI OEMed, you will
still probably need to hack the driver.

On ebay, the cost of SGI specific FDDI cards seems to me that they are
only about twice what similar cards would cost for other platforms.
However, for only $50-$60, I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and just
pay the extra cash rather than screw with the drivers.