[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Sep 24 01:09:29 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 01:50 AM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>>    I do have a great deal of respect for your knowledge, but please
>> keep
>> in mind the fact that getting a PhD proves that you can please a
>> professor...not that you know what you're talking about.
>
> Huh? Obviously you have never attempted to obtain a PhD in science have
> you? :) If that floats your boat.....

   Nope.  I like money FAR too much to live in college until I'm too old
to do anything with my life.  But whatever works for you.  (Don't get
me wrong, though, I've spent a LOT of time in colleges...I've just
never been a student.  It took working at Princeton to make me decide
against going to college.)

   But I've worked with quite a few PhDs, and none of them have had ANY
CLUE about what they were talking about.  I'm sure you'll be different
(if you don't drop out and decide to join the real world first, which
frankly I expect given your penchant for real-world thinking) but this
is just a little indicator of what kind of perception you're in for.
I've made a lot of money redesigning PhD-designed systems so that
they'll work in the real world.

   You, however, have my respect.  If you get your PhD, you'll be the
first one to have my respect, and probably the last.  I've studied
processor architecture literally all my life, so yours is a brain I'd
love to pick.

   As far as the topic at hand...You've seen PCs run faster than
Octanes.  I haven't.

        -Dave