[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Wed Sep 24 00:54:32 CDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 07:29 PM, Francisco Javier
> Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > FreeBSD sometimes, Linux others. Basically I have to run lots of matlab
> > and maple stuffs under linux, and FreeBSD just because I like it more
> > than
> > linux.
> >
> > For heavy duty markov solvers for example the P3 just leaves the
> > Octane in
> > the dust.
>
>    x86 assembler assists, possibly?

Nope, it is portable C code :), I compile it using gcc in the IA32
machines, and I worked out the MIPS pro flags to complie them on the SGI
box.

Matlab as far as I know is optimized for both platforms, again all the
toolboxes I have used in the Intel machines and SGI boxes favor the P3
even  on my dual Octane :(. Which makes my case for a new tezro pretty
grim....