[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Sep 24 00:09:01 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 07:16 PM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>>> I recommend a remedial computer architecture class before making such
>>> statements, thanks :).
>>
>>    Classes != reality.  Sorry to burst YOUR bubble.  All the classes
>> in
>> the world won't make one number larger than another.
>
> Please..... Dave, I do computer architecture fora living, and I am
> gettinga freaking PhD on it, I know what I am talking about OK?

   I do have a great deal of respect for your knowledge, but please keep
in mind the fact that getting a PhD proves that you can please a
professor...not that you know what you're talking about.

   Now, I believe that YOU *DO* know what you're talking about...despite
the PhD thing.

   In this case, however, having put them side by side, I've seen very
different results.  As have several others here.  PhD or not, "them's
the facts".

> Shees, I am sure you could tell the Stream guys something that only you
> know:
>
>  SGI Octane2/R12k-400 :  514.1 MBps
>
>  Pentium III/733-CM(pgi) :  685.7 MBps
>
> OK?
>
> So last time I checked, 514.1 < 685.7 Or maybe math is biased too? :)

   That's nice.  Why is the Octane faster, then?

        -Dave