[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 23 17:06:26 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:49:00 -0400
Dave McGuire wrote:

> > The memory system of the Octane is on par if not slower than a
> > P3-800, the
> > P3 destroys the R10K in raw computation power, hence the Octane can
> > have
> > all the memory bw it wants, but since it is running a
> > computationally and
> > not data bound process it just can not compete with the P3 in those
> > tasks.
>
>    That's interesting.  Then why is my Octane (a 200MHz R10K) so much
> faster doing PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING than my cow-orker's 650MHz P3?
>
>    I call "bullshit".

I'll second that.  According to what I know, the Octane has 1GBps of
dedicated memory bandwidth.  A computer with PC133 RAM has about 1 GBps
of memory bandwidth - but it's not dedicated.  That means that the x86
system's memory subsystem is going to be, in practice, very much slower
because it also has to support PCI and AGP ports, as well as anything
else on the bus.  So, in a system with PC133 memory on a 133Mhz FSB, the
Octane is going to beat it up, take it's lunch money, and send it home
crying.

--
Kurt              "You're all bastards! MTV sucks! We hates you all!"
kurt at k-huhn.com                                -- Gollum