[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 23 15:04:55 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:19:31 -0500
Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:34:03PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> > Really?  MY R10k-195 stomped all over a P3-800 doing rendering -
> > well, until you started doing radiosity anway.  But for plain ray
> > tracing, the Octane was a champ.  The R12k, as you can imagine, is a
> > significant improvement.
>
> What radiosity solver were you using?  I wonder why the comparitive
> difference between radiosity and raytracing.

BMRT.  I used POV-RAY for raytracing.  I don't know why BMRT was slower,
but it seems to me that it wasn't exactly optimized for MIPS.  There
seems to be a bunch of radiosity renderers out there now, and POV-RAY
seems to be making a comeback of sorts - either that or I'm simply more
aware.

> I can't easily think of any reason why it would behave like that.

My only theory was in optimization.  Unfortunately, that probably would
have required a code fork to support - but WTF do I know, I'm no
developer.

--
Kurt              "You're all bastards! MTV sucks! We hates you all!"
kurt at k-huhn.com                                -- Gollum