[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Joshua Snyder josh at imagestream.com
Tue Sep 23 11:35:22 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 04:17:17PM -0500, Joshua Snyder wrote:
<snip>

> Hey, there is no shame in such a machine.  Just beef the ram up to at
> least 256 megs, preferably 512megs.  Might add as much as $150 later if
> the machine doesn't come with enough.  Otherwise, no big deal.

Yeah, I am going to have at least 256meg of ram... I would like to get
512...

<snip>
> First, there is something important to remember about SMP.  You don't
> just add a second CPU like you do on most machines.  Instead you pull
> the CPU module and add a dual CPU module.  Dual R10k 250s seem to be a
> litle under a grand still when seperate from the machine, but great
> deals can be had from time to time.

This was something that I didn't know.  I guess given the small space that
you have in the Octane I understand why you wouldn't have room for two Cpu
modules.

> Also, I believe that to do the resolution you want you will need SSI or
> SSE.  They aren't really too expensive to buy, but adding TRAM to one of
> those cards is expensive unless you are both lucky and patient.

Ok so now I have another question; are the TRAM modules swappable across
the different video options or are they all specific to each each video
card?

				josh