[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Sep 22 16:56:43 CDT 2003

On 2003.09.22 19:24 Joshua Snyder wrote:

> I am thinking about getting an Octane what should I look out for?
[...]
> I remember seeing $400 and thinking that was a great deal...
Sounds like you want to get a 300 MHz R12k machine with SI / SE GFX and
at least 512 MB RAM and a 9 GB disk. That is IMHO the best price /
performace ratio. You can get a machine like that for (below) 400 US$ /
EUR. Basic R10k machines are down to 200..300 US$ / EUR. But I would
invest the money for a R12k CPU.

Things can get expensive quite easy. PCI card cage: 100 US$ / EUR. TRAM
for hardware texture support at least 100 US$ / EUR per module. (You
need one module for SI / SE and two modules for SSI or SSE GFX. SE and
SSE require higher speed TRAM.) Dual CPU seams to be very expensive, at
least here in the old world and especially for dual R12k. The difference
betwen SI/SE/SSI/SSE seams not that big.

I got a Octane singe R10k 175 MHz, SE GFX, 4 GB + 9 GB + 9 GB disks for
free this evening. But I am still looking for a 300 MHz R12k machine.
When I get it, I will move the SI GFX and RAM of the R10k machine into
the R12k machine to get a nice dual head setup.

BTW: Any special pointers to "How to fix the Octane light bar" web
sites?
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen