[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Joshua Snyder josh at imagestream.com
Mon Sep 22 16:17:17 CDT 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:24:10PM -0500, Joshua Snyder wrote:
> > I am thinking about getting an Octane what should I look out for?  And
> > what type of prices should I expect to pay?  I have been looking on e-pay
> > but I don't know if those machines are over priced or not... it does seem
> > that prices have come down alot in the last year, I remember seeing $400
> > and thinking that was a great deal...
>
> You aren't totally clear on what sort of Octane you want?  The major
> variables seem to be processor type (R10k or R12k), count (1 or 2),
> speed (175mhz to 400 mhz), and cache (I believe 1 or 2 megs, but there
> may be more options), and whether you get SI, SSI, MXI, SE (or ESI), SSE
> (or ESSI), or MXE (or EMXI) graphics.

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear, thats what I get for pounding
out a quick e-mail between classes.  Let me try and clear up what type of
Octane that I want I believe that lack of money is going to force me
twards a R10k 195 with SI.  I would love a better machine but you get what
you pay for.

> $400 for a single 195mhz machine with SI is too much, unless it has
> other options in the form of disks.  Such a base line machine likely
> isn't worth more than $200 on ebay.  If it had either dual 250mhz
> processors, or anything R12k $400 would be a good price I'd think
> though.

I should have been more clear I was refering to prices last year... So a
few quick questions, All Octanes can do SMP but is there anything that I
need to know about it?  ie. I don't have to watchout for mainboards that
don't work right... How hard is to get upgraded graphics?  I would like to
be able to run 1600x1200 at 85Hz but I don't care about games.

				josh