[rescue] Advice on Octanes

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Sep 22 15:56:17 CDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 01:05:41PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
> definitely would have been nice.  I really would
> like to look into dual R12s some time next year....

I think everyone here would love dual R12ks.  I doubt I will be able to
afford them even next year though, so I'm trying to decide between dual
R10ks or a single R12k.  I'm leaning towards a single R12k.

> Josh, most everyone on this list knows it's cheaper to
> purchase a "complete" box than it is to try and
> piece one together part by part, but this applies
> doubly for the graphics options in the Octanes.

Yes, but it bears repeating if someone goes and asks what to look for.

> Definitely get one that has the graphics options you
> want upfront.  I ended up spending $200+ on a
> single, first gen TRAM module from Reputable because i
> got tired of waiting for one to show up on ebay.

I managed to luck out on a single SE TRAM not long after getting my
Octane with base level graphics.  Sometimes a deal is good enough to buy
it even without the graphics you want.  It certainly was in my case.

> I really would recommend SSI or SSE as a minimum even
> if you are not concerned with 3D capabilities, the
> resolution/refresh rates for the SI/SE can quickly
> become tiresome.

I'd say think long and hard about it.  SSI or SSE would be nice, but
that means two TRAMS, and perhaps the user would prefer two heads, one
with TRAM, and one without.  I think I'm more likely to go with two
heads than I would be to upgrade to SSE, but then again, that would
depend somewhat on how all the machine is being used at the time.