[rescue] Strange results on a Teal Indigo^2...

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Thu Sep 18 18:07:47 CDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Is it only *real* I/O (meaning an external event, like keypress, mouse
> click, etc.) that will break the "loop"?
>
> Odd - and you say it is only R4400 @ 250 MHz that has this issue?

 Well, if I want it to go away real quick, generate some I/O from the
keyboard and mouse is fine.

 However, sometimes I would listen to MP3s and be in another part of the
house and it would "BUZZ"... it would usually last at most (at least for
me)... 30seconds-2minutes, then it would resolve itself and continue
going.

 I've never tried the network I/O trick, but I would imagine it works,
especially since others have had luck with it.

 It used to drive me crazy... I tried looking for reports of this problem
by others but never managed to find it (I even bought another audio
sub-card that I was planning to replace to see if it was faulty audio
hardware)... then like a week after I upgraded to my R10k @ 175MHz, I
stumbled across a post on google groups... but yeah, from what I read it
only affects the 250MHz version of the R4400.. I've been running my R10k
and I haven't experienced the problem.

 And my R4400/250MHz Indigo2 was running just Extreme Graphics, I didn't
have any IMPACT hardware in there. 060-8001 power supply too I believe.

---
 Matthew Haas
 Corning/Geneseo, NY