[rescue] Re: Iris 5.3CD

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Sep 18 11:42:40 CDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Kevin wrote:

> No, what is the rscd* device for?  Whatever it is, it's
> not located on any of my Slackware boxen.

Oh, Linux.  Eww.  Then, yeah, I think scd0 is what you want.

Everywhere -else-, if foo0 is a block device, rfoo0 is a raw
character device, which is what you want to use when doing
character-stream operations like dd.  Of course, if you're using
solaris, you have to look in a different directory for the raw
devices.  I'm sure someone thought it was a cute idea.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols