[rescue] IRIX 5.3 CD questions

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Wed Sep 17 02:29:46 CDT 2003

Hello Curtis,

Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 4:50:01 AM, you wrote:

> All though It does make me ask a question about R3000 powered
> IRIS Indigo systems.... what is the lastest IRIX that they will
> run ?  Is it 5.3 ?

  Yup. No R3000 machine was supported beyond IRIX 5.3.

> The same site says IRIX 6.2 dropped R3000 support.... so does that
> mean 6.0 or 6.1 support R3000 ?

  That's my poor choice of words. I was considering the all platform
  releases  of major relevance today and that were 5.3/6.2/6.5.
  Regarding these 6.2 was indeed the first not to support any R3000
  based system.

> 6.1 is listed as for the Power Challenge, Power Onyx and Power
> Indigo 2.

  6.0/6.1 both were closely related to the introduction of the Power
  Challenge systems and IRIX going to 64 bit.

> It appears that 6.0 also was for Power series machines....

  Power Challenge and Power Onyx - big difference to Power Series,
  which was SGIs first line of SMP machines (based on R3000).

> which makes it looks like IRIX 5.3 is the end of the line for the
> R3000 IRIS Indigo... is that correct ?

  Yup.

> I have a growing collection of IRIX CDs... including the 5.3 CDs,
> 6.1, 6.2 (I have an extra 6.2 if anyone is interested.. make an offer),
> various 6.5.  I had never really heard of 6.1 and 6.2.... I've heard
> a lot about 5.3 and 6.5 ... (I'm new to SGIs).

  6.2 has lost a bit in terms of puplic attention as until recently
  all systems that could run 6.2 could also run 6.5.x.

Gerhard