[rescue] Closet cleaning IV

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Sat Sep 13 14:43:32 CDT 2003

> From: Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net>
> On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 05:37  PM, James Birdsall wrote:
>
> > * VAX Hardware Handbook 1982-83 (covers lots and lots of hardware
> > details of
> > 11/730, 11/750, 11/780, and 11/782)
> >
> Well I got this yesterday... and man I have to say I am now a true
> believe in all things VAX.  I was reading through the architecture
> stuff alone and there is stuff in there that Linux is just now trying
> to add. (re: a recent Linux Journal article on events based kernel
> scheduling for Telecom and real-time applications)... and this book is
> a VAX book from 1982.  Preemptive multi-tasking, demand paged virtual
> memory, etc. etc. etc.
>
> Very nice stuff.... only problem is ... now I want one..... and they
> use way too much juice... somehow my dumpster dived Vaxstation just
> doesn't seem like it's gonna cut it.

They are. I do miss mine.

> Methinks a 4000/90 would be good.

They are very good. Plugging "Vax 4000" at ebay right now pulls up a
Vaxstation 4000/VLC with a lot of extras, a nice 4000/60 and a Vax
4000-200 that I don't know enough about to know for sure, but the price
seems high to me.

If I had the money to spare, I'd chase that 4000/VLC for sure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2752302431&category=179

> Andrew

William
--
REGIME CHANGE STARTS AT HOME... Draft General Clark for President
http://www.draftwesleyclark.com/