[rescue] Vaxstation 3100 and NetBSD

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Sat Sep 13 14:22:02 CDT 2003

Hello Michael,

> I recently repaired a hardware issue on my vaxstation 3100 and now I'm ready
> to actually start using the thing, but I can't for the life of me figure out
> what's wrong with my setup that I can't boot from a NetBSD 1.5 or 1.6.1 CD.
> I've followed the instructions.... the CD drives themselves are older ones
> that are capable of 512 byte blocks... but it always seems to hang or fail.

  I had similar problems with a Plextor drive that I used to boot
  various OSes on various platforms from (all kinds of SGIs, a lot of
  Suns, IBMs, DEC Alphas, etc.) but that failed on the VS3100. I
  finally had luck with an older Toshiba CD-ROM.

> I've been through almost all the permutations of the boot command, the latest
> attempt being boot/100 dka400 and calling boot.vax as the bootfile. I really
> wish this was better documented.

  Booting the current NetBSD from CD-ROM was pretty straightforward
  after the drive issue was sorted out.

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de