[rescue] Q: fibrechannel connectors

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Fri Sep 12 10:25:08 CDT 2003

I rescued a Sun 1010 disk enclosure with 6 2.5G barracudas and one
external FC connector (along with a DecStation 3100 but this is not
important currently) yesterday.

I want to hook it up to one of my Suns but have no previous experience
with fibrechannel. I have the cable that came with the box (cable state
unknown) and two sbus fc-al cards (25 MB/s supposedly - by the part
number). How do I connect the drive enclosure to the card - do I have to
make a crossover connection or a straight one?  Both ends have one gray
and one yellow connector - what are these markings used for? Is it safe
to connect it the wrong way?

What does it look from software side? I guess I need drivers for the FC
card but is it just SCSI afterwards?

I have Linux loaded on one of the Suns currently, the soc module loads
with the card and socal doesn't. Linux is currently not important, I'm
ready to put NetBSD or OpenBSD on this SS10 (dual SM51). Do the *BSD-s
support FC and 1010? Does FC need special support for each FC target
(like 1010) or is it generic like SCSI?

Any good general FC resources out there?

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)