[rescue] best OS for SPARCserver 10

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Sep 12 09:41:45 CDT 2003

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 03:06 AM, Kay wrote:
> why NOT solaris8 or 9?

   Too slow and fat for that hardware.  At least when compared with a
BSD variant.

> i got it loaded and have been using Solaris 8 on my LX (which is the
> firewall with a 2 QE's installed and 128 megs of ram and my SS20 with
> dual
> sm71's ...
>
> rock SOLID and reliable ... never a burp... uptimes in the 450 day
> range ...

   I'm sure it's wonderful.  It's just that it'd be twice as fast
running a BSD.

   Don't get me wrong, I'm a BIG Solaris fan now (and anyone who's known
me for a few years knows what a big deal it is for me to say
that!)...but on 4c and 4m hardware, a BSD can't be beat.

        -Dave