[rescue] best OS for SPARCserver 10

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Sep 12 09:39:48 CDT 2003

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 02:31 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> NetBSD will work well.  OpenBSD will be faster.

   Got details on this?  Last I checked (which admittedly was some time
ago), they changed the SCSI driver and that's about it.

> You want an SS10 speakerbox.  They go for cheap on eBay:
>   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045999308

   I've got a few of these kicking around.  I should get them out into
the wild; they're collecting dust here.

> I heartily recommend OpenBSD.  NetBSD is fine, too, but NetBSD runs
> -much- slower on sun4m systems than OpenBSD does due to a difference in
> the way the kernel talks to the periphreal buses.  NetBSD uses an
> elegant generic method, and OpenBSD uses a bit of a hack for an
> impressive performance boost.  You can even feel the difference over an
> SSH connection on a box as weak as a SPARCclassic.

   Ahh, the details.  Got a link handy?  I'd like to investigate this a
bit.

         -Dave