[rescue] SGI O2 Rescue

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Sep 12 07:23:03 CDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 10:48:24PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> SGI O2
> Irix 6.3
> MIPS R1000 Rev 2.7/2.6
> 195Mhz Proc
> 192 / 256 MB RAM
<snip>
> I know what I'm going to do with 'em .. and I won't ask what good they are
> for (grin) but I _will_ ask if there are any gotchas with these critters.

One small gotcha.  They won't perform as well as any other 195mhz R10k
SGI, except, perhaps, the I2 (haven't seen any non graphics oriented
head to head comparisons between them), and I still suspect that I2
would perform faster, and they especially aren't suitable for anything
real time video.  If you stay away from video, it seems you've gotten a
pair of pretty nice O2s.

Since you have two, if you are interested in video, you might consider
downgrading one of the machines to a R5k.  Also, you might want to
consider trading one for an Octane if you don't already have one, either
way.