[rescue] SGI O2 Rescue

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Sep 12 06:13:41 CDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 01:16:21AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>
> > SGI O2
> > Irix 6.3
> > MIPS R1000 Rev 2.7/2.6
> > 195Mhz Proc
> > 192 / 256 MB RAM
>
> Nice!

I run a R10k/175 with 256MB RAM as my desktop.  It is nice, a little
sluggish; but I understand that the 175 had some issue with the memory
controller that the 195 does not.

Two suggestions:

1.  Install 6.5 cleanly on the system; it will be faster than a 6.3 system.

2.  There is a change to be made in the Xservers line that greatly
increases display performance with most apps.  I don't have the change
handy however.

> As for what it's good for, those boxes can do a -lot-.  Not a lot of CPU
> work, but a -lot- in terms of on-the-fly textured OpenGL using the video
> ports as sources.  They're also just damned cute and tiny and make good
> general-purpose workstations.

Actually we should ask whether you just have RCA jacks on the side of
the machine or S-Video inputs as well.  If S-Video, you have the nicer
more featureful AV module.

--Patrick