[rescue] best OS for SPARCserver 10

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 22:54:25 CDT 2003

--- simeon johnston <simeonuj at eetc.com> wrote:
> I've got a SPARCserver 10.
> 128MB ram.

You'll want more RAM, I sustect... ;^)

> 2x 1.8GB HD.  I'll probably upgrade one of them to a 10GB.  Possibly
> upgrade both.

10 Gig? You seem to be either assuming this is an IDE drive, or I am
assuming you are going to put these drives inside... ;^)

I've not seen (assumed) 9 Gig HDs with 50 pin "narrow" SCSI that would
fit in the case (1.5" tall 3.5" drives)...

> Video card (Don't know what kind it is) w/ 13w3->DB15 adapter.
> I also have a few old Apple SCSI CDROM drives that should work great
> for booting it.  That or the built-in floppy.

Good - do you have keyboard/mouse?

> This is a machine I traded Pete L. Wargo for a Quadra 840AV (where is

> he anyway?  Haven't seen him for a LONG time).

He started a new life in New Mexico, last I heard...

> I wanted to load Solaris on it since it should handle all of the
> above nicely.  I thought that you could download the OS free from
> Sun (at least a version of it) but couldn't really find anything
> on there sight (I was very confused with the download section).

Try this link:

http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/index.html

That should get you started!

Enjoy,

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall