[rescue] If one person could do it, maybe we could do this

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Sep 11 09:55:57 CDT 2003

On 2003.09.11 04:48 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> But the XMI hardware would likely have drivers that would work, no?
Yes. But who has XMI devices?
I would have XMI devices if I have a VAX 6000, but in that case I would
not need a NewVAX. I would need a (bunch of) VAX 66xx CPU(s) or VAX 66xx
CPU replacement boards based on the NewVAX chip to get more omts out of
my existing machine.

But the original idea was a small, complete and "fast" reimplementation
with the _option_ to add external peripherals. Most likely UniBus and/or
QBus, as they are the most common. Perhaps an additional PCI interface
to connect new stuff. E.g. SCSI adapter chip right on the CPU PCB, or
serial multiport, VGA, ... and perhaps a PCI slot.

> Wouldn't it be a problem to get all this PCI hardware working under
> OpenVMS VAX?
Depends on the (to me unknowen) internas of OpenVMS. There is
OpenVMS/Alpha with PCI support. Maybe there could be somthing borowed.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen