[rescue] Slow code.

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Tue Sep 9 13:15:11 CDT 2003

At 11:52 AM 9/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>    Everything I've ever seen that was written in C++ (except for
>possibly groff) is that slow.

At my past job, I wrote a pricing engine in C++, that with a Java front end
processor that:
took an XML document of an order,
parsed it,
stuck the data in an OODB,
sent a message to the engine,
the engine did dynamic pricing of the order (utilizing rules expressed as C
expressions, which were interpreted at run time using a LR(0) C expression
parser I wrote)
wrote the data back to the OODB,
re-generated the XML order, with prices,
and sent it back.

It did all of that in under 400ms.

C++, Java and any other OO language doesn't have to be slow.  Shoddy code
is shoddy code.  Efficient code is efficient code.

Earl