[rescue] spam WPOISON

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Sep 8 21:06:05 CDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 05:25:27PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   An extreme example of this tradeoff is Java.  It's the ultimate in
> portable programming languages, and the ultimate
> "I-don't-have-to-deal-with-memory-management-issues" language.  It's
> also incredibly easy to use.  But the price is paid in runtime
> performance...big time.

Hear hear.

Compare Mozilla to OpenOffice.  Mozilla has long been accused (and
rightly) of bloat, and often of slowness.  On this machine (an Athlon
XP1800+ with a half gig of RAM running Linux) Mozilla, written in C,
starts up in about a second and a half.  OpenOffice, written in Java,
takes almost 20 seconds.

>   In other words...catering to laziness.  In yet different
> words...obviating the need for
> compilation so that SERVER ADMINISTRATORS DON'T NEED TO LEARN HOW TO
> WORK THEIR COMPUTERS.  This is so bogus, I can't even express it.  In
> any language.

Another step in the dumbing-down of the industry and the calculated
lowering of expectations.  What I want to know is, what are they going
to do when the day comes that there's a aystem-wide crash, or a new and
nasty virus infection that takes down backbones and major corporate
systems, and there's not a single person left employed who knows how to
fix them?  Will they just forklift everything out the back door, roll in
new hardware, and start over, while the suits deny responsibility and
look for someone to blame and to sue?