[rescue] spam WPOISON

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 8 15:31:10 CDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> For this application I wouldn't even consider C.

I would.

> Perl is growing up for this app.  This is a web based app.

Non sequitur.

> If you run modPerl, then your perl will be resident and the cgi will
> not need to launch another process/etc.  PHP is also a good choice
> for this application.... even JSP would probably be good.

JSP would not be faster/better than C.

> While C is fast... each link the bot hits is going to cause the
> web browser to launch the application for each link traversed... since
> the design is links to self along with garbage addresse to pollute
> their lists, a language that is resident with your web server is best
> (IMHO of course).

In order to properly assert that, you'd need to see how many instances
of the C application would need to be resident over a period of time to
equal the overhead of having a perl interpreter instance living inside
the web server.  If your traffic exceeds that number (and it will
probably be quite large), then the perl solution will be a better
performer.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols