[rescue] spam WPOISON

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Sep 8 14:51:34 CDT 2003

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 03:45 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> For this application I wouldn't even consider C.

   Why?

> Perl is growing up for this app.  This is a web based app.  If
> you run modPerl, then your perl will be resident and the cgi will
> not need to launch another process/etc.

   It'd still be much slower than C.  Perl's performance problems aren't
all due to interpreter startup overhead.  And the last time I ran a
server-resident Perl interpreter, it had to be restarted every few
weeks due to memory leaks and memory fragmentation.  My servers stay up
for months (if not years) at a time, so I find this unacceptable.

>   PHP is also a good choice for this application.... even JSP would
> probably be good.

   I'd agree with PHP (though it's still nowhere near as fast as C) but
I think JSP would be overkill.

> While C is fast... each link the bot hits is going to cause the
> web browser to launch the application for each link traversed... since
> the design is links to self along with garbage addresse to pollute
> their lists, a language that is resident with your web server is best
> (IMHO of course).

   I agree with this point, though if written in C, the fork()/exec()
overhead for such a small program won't be all that bad.

   An even better way would be to write it in C as an Apache module.
Anybody here ever program against the Apache module API?

        -Dave