[rescue] If one person could do it, maybe we could do this

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Sep 8 13:42:18 CDT 2003

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 02:35 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>>> There are some things in the schematics that are outside the CPU.
>>> The
>>> RAM
>>> can just be some SRAM, for example.  The idea would be to have a
>>> small
>>> self-
>>> contained unit, so there's no need for the bus interface either.
>>
>>   Hmm, true.  Isolating that stuff in those schematics would be a big
>> project too, but doable I think.
>
> But then, many FPGAs have SRAM built it, so perhaps putting that if the
> FPGA would make life easier.

   That's awfully expensive SRAM, though.  A couple 62256 chips would be
much, much cheaper and pull a WHOLE lot less power.

   I really don't see a VAX implementation happening in just one FPGA,
unless it's one of the very large ones...and the very large ones cost
thousands of dollars per chip.  One FPGA per subsystem or something
would be more reasonable.

   But this is WAY off-topic.

        -Dave