[rescue] RS6K use special tape drives?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 8 13:38:40 CDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Tim Chong wrote:

> Can someone help me clarify this... the sales rep is telling me that
> the normal external SCSI DDS4 20/40G tape drive (for IBM x86 server)
> will not work and not compatible with pSeries (RS6K) IBM workstation?

As far as I know (and have experienced), this is not true.  The only way
to be sure, though, is to borrow one and try.  I have, however, used a
bog-standard HP DDS2 drive on an RS/6000.

> Their prices is rather big diff, one can buy 3 price ratio... does the
> pSeries one have special ROM or something? I'm very confused in this.

Yes, it has a special ROM that properly identifies itself to AIX.
However, AIX should see any other DDS4 drive as a generic tape drive.
On the other side, if you're using any IBM backup software (like Tivoli)
or any software from IBM that "might notice", they'll probably screw you
into buying the more expensive drive, anyway.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Gamer weenies...are the sludge at the bottom
Elgin, TX          (    of the user swamp."           --Gary Nichols