[rescue] If one person could do it, maybe we could do this

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Sep 8 13:15:02 CDT 2003

> > Now, new versions of some classic minis and mainframes would be nice,
> > too.
> > There are new versions of the PDP-8, and someone is working on a
> > PDP-10.  I
> > would also like to see a freely available FPGA version of a PDP-11 and
> > VAX.
>
>    I've been thinking about this for a while too.  A PDP11 might be
> doable, but a VAX would be a very large effort.  I'd love to see it
> done.  I'm learning VHDL now...the more I learn, the more I realize
> just how big a job doing a VAX implementation would be!

With the 11/780 you'd have a good starting point with the schematics.  If you
started with the PDP-11, the PDP-11 mode of the VAX-11/780 would be a bit
easier.  If you really wanted to simplify the 11/780, leave out PDP-11 mode
all-together.  Unfortunately that wouldn't let you run the early versions
of VMS.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net