[rescue] If one person could do it, maybe we could do this in a limited fashion for other platforms as well.

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Sep 8 12:41:00 CDT 2003

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 11:32 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> A new Apple I Replica
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,60329,00.html
>>
>> Maybe not since the guy is doing it with Woz's permission... I don't
>> think other companies would be so benevolent.
>
> Looks nice - but only so many platforms are sufficiently "interesting"
> to warrant such an effort...

   I think there are plenty of platforms.  Don't think mass-produced
micros from the 1970s...think minis from the 1960s.  A fellow named
Dave Conroy built a PDP8 implementation in a pair of FPGAs.  He's also
done a PDP4 and is rumored to be working on a PDP10.

> I think the original Apple 1 (or is it Apple ] ;^) sold in the several
> hundreds... Everything else was a commodity made in the 100's of
> thousands, hence easily available...

   Oh yeah?  Just try to find a PDP8/I. :)

        -Dave