[rescue] spam

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sun Sep 7 13:55:06 CDT 2003

Actually, if all ISPs do what some are starting to do, it would go a long
way to stopping spam....

block outgoing traffic from customers (at least residential) to destinations
outside the ISP's network for ports 25, 8080, etc....  for port 25 this
is easy, as they ISP then allows relaying (as they can then track it all)
through their server.

NetZero blocks outgoing port 25 outside thier net as an example....

Comcast allows the relaying through their server of e-mail... but they
don't force you to do that (they still allow outgoing port 25 outside
their net).

But the saddest part is... spammers do what they do because it works....
when enough of the public is wise to spam enough to know not to pursue
what it "advertises", then spammers will cease to have any incentive to
spam....

Unfortunately Joe Six Pack is not likely to ever actually "get" this fact.

-- Curt