[rescue] spam

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 7 12:43:19 CDT 2003

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:42:03 -0400 (EDT)
"Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:

> Looks like a spammer trolled the archives for addresses.  While
> addresses may not appear in the headers, Mine, and Mike's are definately
> findable in google in the list archives from either sigs or links.

Hmmm - I know there are numerous places where rescue is archived,
obviously on sunhelp.org, and probably the most highly-trafficked
location at marc.theaimsgroup.com. I know that both of these archives
obfuscate the email addresses of posters in the from: line, but any
addresses in signatures come through untouched. I don't put my
address in my sig (I don't use one for personal accounts anyway)
so there may be another place where rescue is archived that doesn't
obfuscate posters' email addresses. This may be the source.

> <sigh>
>
> Maybe a username/password should be setup for the archive ???

See above - this list is archived in numerous places. Maybe there
should only be one archive, or a requirement that archives have
email addresses obfuscated?

> If it gets bad enough, I'll change my address on my server and
> with the list....

Fortunately, easy enough for mailing list and personal use, but it's
really a problem when your professional accounts get targeted.