[rescue] Solaris as a gateway router

Paul Hortiatis ph009j at mail.rochester.edu
Sat Sep 6 01:02:28 CDT 2003

I have a cpci based sun box, CP1500-360, with 128mb ram and a pair of 4 port
cpci Ethernet cards, it's one of two system I got a few months ago, the case
is made by marathon. I'm trying to set it up as a gateway/router using
Solaris 9. I have the machine fairly well locked down and have ipfilter
installed, Solaris is set up so it will forward the connection and I know
ipfilter is working. For some reason the machine will not respond to any
Ethernet adapter other than the built in hme0, the other adapters show link
and activity if I try to ping them and such. the machine will not generate
any activity it's self on the ports either, just on hme0, this is the same
for the other similar machine I have(it has more ram and only one 4 port
card) both machine's are running Solaris 9, installed from the same boot
server.

is there any thing obvious or not so obvious that I may have missed to make
this work? I have been playing with it for quite some time now and I'm
running out of things to try. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Paul