[rescue] SunFastEthernet questions

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Wed Sep 3 02:37:20 CDT 2003

> > mode for benchmarking. Binary mode is OK.
>
>    Are you sure?  Granted this was something like 12 years ago, but I
> seem to recall FTP using some sort of encoding for the data
> connection...not XDR but maybe something like it.  Perhaps not.

The protocol specifies different modes (record structures like RMS etc)
but the only survived(*) mode is STREAM, type I (binary image) or type A
(ASCII). Paragraph 3.4 in http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0959.txt.

(*) I have only used one of the other modes in 1994 in VMS with some
early release of TCP software, later TCP suites just talked STREAM/I.
There may be other systems that still need structured transfers but I
haven't stumbled on one that doesn't speak STREAM/I.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)