[rescue] SunFastEthernet questions

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Wed Sep 3 02:06:04 CDT 2003

> > FTP is a good benchmark because it uses TCP streams and relatively
> > little CPU.
>
>    ...but FTP doesn't send the data raw; there's a bit of overhead in
> the encoding...so you'll lose some of the bytes there.

Nope. FTP uses clean raw streams for binary transfers, no encoding at
all. ASCII mode transfer does CRLF conversion but noone should use ASCII
mode for benchmarking. Binary mode is OK.

I usually use a large file that consists of a large hole and then 1KB of
data for FTP benchmarking (and transfer it to /dev/null on the target
machine) to avoid disk bottleneck - when ttcp is not at hand.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)