[rescue] Power

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Sep 2 20:38:09 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 09:30 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:
> I'm going to have two additional power lines run to the computer room
> soon.  I was thinking of having two 120V 30A circuits, but I am
> starting
> to think one 120V and one 220V circuit might be better.  I have a lot
> of
> equipment that will run on either, but I think having a 220V circuit
> would
> be a good idea in case I want to run a VAX 6000 or 7000 since I
> wouldn't
> have to go to the trouble to rewire for 120V.
>
> If anyone has run new power lines for their home computer room, what
> did
> you have run, and would you change your choice now that you've had it
> run
> for a while?

   In my past three residences, I've spun two 30A 220V circuits (on
L6-30 twist-loks) into the computer room.  This is, in my opinion, *by
far* the best way to go.

   I have two UPSes...APC Matrix 5000s.  They have a 220V input, and
both 110V and 220V outputs.  This is just about perfect for the kind of
stuff that people like us tend to run.

         -Dave